In the guides below, we’ve decided to share some of the resources and tips we’ve picked up during our journey for criminal legal reforms. Our hope is that these guides help advocates in their efforts to address mass incarceration in Idaho.
- Public records – Every state and the federal government has laws that give the public access to most government information. However, getting access to that information can be difficult. This guide will help you navigate the system to get the documents you need.
- Writing guide – A key part of our strategy hinges on getting to people to read what we write. This guide will help you write about complex topics in a way that is informative and persuasive.
- Designing effective visuals – A compelling visual can quickly make a point about a topic that might otherwise take hundreds of words to describe. We’ve pulled together a few tips that have helped us make powerful visuals that can motivate people to action.
- Data sources – Getting access to quality data is one of the most difficult parts of our work. We’ve pulled together a list of some of the sources we use most in our research on policing, incarceration, probation, parole, and more.
- Managing and organizing data – Data is at the heart of nearly everything we do. In this guide, we provide a few tips and tricks we’ve learned to work with datasets effectively, without getting overwhelmed.
- Video visitation – A collection of resources for protecting in-person visitation from the for-profit video-calling industry. It includes information on the benefits of in-person visits, reports, history, and more.
- Jail expansion – Research and resources to help advocates illustrate the harms of jails to local decision makers. It includes findings about jail overcrowding, counterarguments against jail expansionists, and points of intervention in jail fights.
- Prison gerrymandering – A guide to help residents who want to end prison gerrymandering in their local community. It provides tips, worksheets, and tools to determine whether and to what extent prison gerrymandering is occurring in your area.